Friday, May 27, 2011

Withheld news ~ book beginnings

Caleb's Crossing ~ by Geraldine Brooks, 2011, fiction (Massachusetts)
"He is coming on the Lord's Day. Though my father has not seen fit to give me the news, I have the whole of it."
I'm intrigued.  Who is "he"?  Why didn't her father tell her about it?  What's going on, anyway?

I really like all of the books by Geraldine Brooks that I've read, fiction and nonfiction, and would recommend any of them to you.  These are the books I've read, one nonfiction and all three of her other novels.
  • Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women (1994, NF)
  • Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague (2001, set in England)
  • March (2005, set in the USA, about the father of the "Little Women")
  • People of the Book (2008, set in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina)
If you want to play along, this meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages.  Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading.  (Sometimes it takes several sentences to get the full thought.)  Then, share your impressions of that beginning.  Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Geraldine Brooks is such a wonderful author! I loved The Year of Wonders and thought 9 Parts of Desire was so interesting! Can't wait to see what you think of this one