2. He told us to copy and paste for friends to read, but I wrote that "instead of just posting this information and moving on past it, I'm going to share with you how I got OFF of Metformin, little brother. I love you enough to share what worked for me."
4. Here's basically what I'm still doing: Since having quadruple bypass surgery in February 2009, I have chosen healthy foods over processed foods and have lost 67 pounds slowly and carefully and safely over eleven-plus years. Now I'm down from 224 pounds to 157 and still losing at an easy pace, by choice, by watching my intake. I eat lots of colorful fruits and vegetables, rather than processed foods. The less processed, the better.
5. I have bought three DASH Diet books by Marla Heller, a registered dietician. These have been very helpful to change my eating habits.
- The DASH Diet Mediterranean Solution is at the top, promising "the best eating plan to control your weight and improve your health for life."
- The DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution, on the right, says on the cover: "2 weeks to drop pounds, boost metabolism, and get healthy." It has two stages, starting with a two week "jump start" to reset your metabolish.
- The DASH Diet Younger You (below) promises on the cover that you can "shed twenty years — and pounds — in just ten weeks."
7. A key point is to think of "diet" as every-thing you choose to eat, and I told Jim (my brother), "Your library probably has a copy, if you don't want to buy it, or I'll have Amazon send you a copy, if you want it."
8. I also told him there are Facebook pages for people to encourage each other to stick with the program, and I'm in two of them.
9. If you are interested in the Facebook groups, the most important one for me is the MedDASH group, using the blue book at the top.
10. I'm also in the DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution on Facebook, which uses the gold book. I joined it before the MedDash book was published, then added that one when the MedDASH book came out.
11. There are other books by Marla Heller that I didn't buy, including The DASH Diet Action Plan and The Everyday DASH Diet Cookbook, if you want to explore all of them. You don't need a separate cookbook, however, because she makes meal suggestions in each of the books.
12. Did someone ask what DASH means? DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.
13. Ask me questions in the comments, and I'll try to explain better.
The only rule for Thursday Thirteen is to write about 13 things. For more information and to sign up, click on New Thursday 13.