Friday, May 13, 2011

Beginning ~ a chunkster of a book!

This is the first line of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (1957).
"Who is John Galt?"
It's also the last line in that first chapter.  I'm about to read it with three in-town friends, and I'm inviting all of you to join me for a discussion at Book Buddies, my online book club.  It's a long book, but we plan to take it very slowly, one chapter at a time.  This is from eNotes:
"According to a 1991 Library of Congress report, it is considered the second most influential book after the Bible in the lives of its readers. A complex combination of mystery, love story, social criticism, and philosophical concepts, the 1,100 page novel embodies the author's passionate celebration of individualism, free will, capitalism, logic, and reason. ... The apathy of the people is summed up in a new slang expression, 'Who is John Galt?' which conveys hopelessness, fear, and a sense of futility, as well as everything unachievable and imagined."
"Sign up" to read it with me by leaving a comment, either here or at Book Buddies, where you'll find more information about the book.

This meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading. Then, share your impressions of that beginning. Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Confession time: this book totally intimidates me. I know I will never read it. So, good on you for reading this total chunkster!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I read Atlas Shrugged such a long time ago, that I barely remember it! Except that I loved it and was very impressed. Love that beginning! I do remember that.

Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

Anonymous said...

Whew, good for you! It's absolutely an intimidating book. I hope to get around to it someday but now is not the time. Please let us know what you think!