Thursday, July 20, 2023

Words and ideas

Looking at those letters, I noticed the word "TROVE" starting with the two fingers and thought, "What do I have a trove of?"

Word of the Day
trove / noun = a store of valuable or delightful things.  Example:  I have a trove of good books!
But back to our original full word:  introvert.  Let's think about that word a bit today.

Yesterday, I was talking with someone who said she is also an introvert.  It doesn't mean we don't like people; it means we need alone time to re-charge our batteries.  Have you ever taken the Myer-Briggs test?  It shows that I'm an INTJ.

t

What about books?  This is a BOOK blog, after all.

I saw The Stranger by Albert Camus in the Crown Center library yesterday, so I checked it out to read again.  It was first published in France in 1942, and I first read it decades ago.  I'll tell you more about it in the coming days.  This b&w photo shows the author — Albert Camus.
Another book I re-read recently gave me lots to think about:  Writing as a Second Language by Donald Davis.  Here are passages that made me stop and think:
  1. We say, "The book was better than the movie" because we already made our own movie as we read along. ... Put another way, a story is a picture I have in my head that I would like for you to have in your head" (p. 64).
  2. The author says that "listeners are like magnets that pull our stories from us" (p. 103).
  3. Here's one of the writing prompts he shared:  "If you could build one new room onto your house, what kind of room would it be and what would you put there?
Another book I pondered was a library board book:  Baby Loves Quantum Physics! by Ruth Spiro, which says on three pages:
  1. Maybe Cat is asleep.  Shhh...
  2. Maybe Cat is awake.  meow!
  3. In quantum physics, until Baby looks in the box, Cat is both asleep and awake.
One of my friends said, "You read toddler books now?"  Maybe I am in my second childhood now.


No comments: