Monday, July 17, 2023

Another book to muse about ~ and a cat like mine

Matters of Life and Death ~ by John B. Cobb, Jr., 1991, ethics, 122 pages

Using a bioethical approach, Cobb tackles some of the most controversial issues facing society today — something other writers have often failed to do in the past.  His four major topics are animal well-being, death with dignity, the moral status of the fetus, and sexual activity outside of marriage.  As you can see on the cover, he includes chapters on the right to kill, the right to die, the right to live, and the right to love.


In 
Ghost in the Garden by Carol H. Behrman (1984), which I rated 10/10, I came across a passage that made me stop and think of how it describes my cat almost exactly, except for the eyes:  "The kitten was coal-black except for a snowy white patch on its chest.  It had almond-shaped, glittering 
blue-green eyes, and its shiny black fur was softer than silk" (p. 35).  Clawdia's eyes are definitely yellow, sometimes shading towards green.

The Thinker musing about something

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Matters of Life and Death sounds really interesting. As my friends' parents start to age and sometimes get terminal illnesses, we've been talking about death with dignity more than I care to admit. I feel lucky that my parents are a bit younger (79 and 84) and healthy, but the conversations are so important.