Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Wednesday Workout

I haven't been going to the exercise classes, even though they started up again after the Covid scare.  I HAVE been walking, mostly up and down my hallway with Clawdia, but also walking up and down the sidewalks in my neighborhood.  I read in an article:
...research shows that as we age, the brain shrinks, specifically the hippocampus which is responsible for memory formation.  Exercise can help maintain this portion of the brain, and in some cases, increase the size.  There’s much to be learned about how and why this is, but Erickson says the effects are better the longer you engage in these habits so it’s good to start young. 
Of course you can still reap the benefits if you start later in life, he says. You might find that with time, you can recall memories and information more easily and have better executive function and a longer attention span when your brain is at its best.

I've noticed that my memory recall seems worse, probably because it's been too long since I was doing a regular exercise routine.  Why did I stop?  I don't remember (LOL), but I do recall that I cleared a space to exercise in my own apartment during lockdown.  I would set up my laptop and follow the online classes.  I even taught myself how to Zoom, in order to do that!

So now what?  I don't swim like a whale or run like a rabbit.  But I decided there would be no more procrastinating and I'll start going to the Monday Music and Movement classes downstairs.  That class focuses on cardio and balance exercises.

No comments: