Sunday, July 23, 2023

A cat, a book, and a couple of quotes

Clawdia

Today is Clawdia's Gotcha Day, as I posted on Caturday, you know, yesterday, the day before Sunday.
Man’s Fate ~ by André Malraux, translated by Haakon M. Chevalier, 1934, fiction, 338 pages
Man's Fate (French: La Condition Humaine or The Human Condition) is a 1933 novel about the failed communist insurrection in Shanghai in 1927 and the existential quandaries facing a diverse group of people associated with the revolution."

First quote

Former news anchor Dan Harris (NPR on July 16, 2023):  "One of my favorite descriptions of Buddhism is that it's not a thing to believe in; it's a thing to do."  The headline says that he is at the center of the mindfulness movement.  Click HERE to read the whole story.

Second quote

I think that is also what Jesus intended.  He never said, "Worship me."  Rather, he told us to love one another as he loved us (actually, as he had shown love to people around him).  It's a thing to do, not a thing to believe in.  Here's the New Revised Standard Version of John 13:34, supposedly a direct quote of what people remembered that he said:
"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another.  Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another."

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz
hosts The Sunday Salon.

7 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Happy Gotcha Day to Cawdia (and you).

Mae Travels said...

I think I read Man’s Fate when I was in high school. Didn’t get it. Don’t remember anything whatsoever. I. had a teacher who told us to read stuff like that, stuff we weren’t prepared for.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

Interesting quotes. Have a great day!

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Happy Gotcha Day Clawdia!!! You are a lucky kitty to have selected such a nice mama.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm right there with you on the quotes, Bonnie. Love is something we do. Definitely.

Happy Gotcha Day to Clawdia!

I wonder about Man's Fate. Should that be on my life list? I'll see what I can find out.

AJ @bookbabenails said...

Clawdia has to be the cutest cat name ever!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Aj, there's a reason for naming her CLAW-dia. Read my post about her name, here:
https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2018/05/dont-declaw-cats.html