Friday, July 21, 2023

Beginning ~ with some inner compulsion

Beginning
In the Tennessee country of my forebears it was not uncommon for a man of good character suddenly to disappear.  He might be a young man or a middle-ages man or even sometimes a very old man.  Whatever the case, few questions were ever asked.  Rather, it was generally assumed that such a man had very likely felt the urging of some inner compulsion and so could not do otherwise than gather up his chattels and move on to resettle himself elsewhere.
In The Tennessee Country ~ by Peter Taylor, 1994, fiction (Tennessee), 226 pages

Despite the derision of his son, a middle-aged man becomes obsessed with discovering the truth about a mysterious cousin, Aubrey, who first appeared on the funeral journey of his senator grandfather from Washington to Knoxville, and then disappeared.

This is another book I have found recently on my shelves, so I've pulled it down to read.

2 comments:

Mark Baker said...

That opening creates so many questions in my head. I want to track down all those men and find out what happened to them.

Cindy said...

It has an interesting opening. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!