Monday, June 26, 2023

Musing about quantum physics

I like #13 of Colleen's recent Thursday Thirteen:  "Why do you insist the universe is not a conscious intelligence, when it gives birth to conscious intelligences?"  Roman philosopher Cicero.

Cicero came up with that over 2,000 years ago.  But I'm musing about quantum physics because Colleen wrote in a comment below that post:  "I’m thinking of getting a Quantum Physics for Dummies book."

I had never thought of such a book, but I asked her:  "Is there a Quantum Physics for Dummies book, Colleen?  I want one, too."

Yes, indeed there is such a book!  Unfortunately, it costs $18.99.  Since my library doesn't have a copy, I decided to start with some simple books about quantum physics.  Yep, I'm starting at the baby level and moving "up" to the preschool level, but I really am interested in the subject.  (I took all the science and math subjects I could during high school, like biology and chemistry and physics.)  So here are my first two requests:

Baby Loves Quantum Physics!
by Ruth Spiro, illustrated by Irene Chan, 2017, children's picture book, 20 pages
Accurate enough to satisfy an expert, yet simple enough for baby, this clever board book engages readers in a game of hide-and-seek with Schrodinger's famous feline.**  Can cat be awake and asleep at the same time?  Age-appropriate language encourages baby's sense of wonder.  Adults may learn a thing or two, as well.  With tongue firmly in cheek, this book introduces highly intellectual science concepts to the littlest learners.
Do You Know Quantum Physics?
~ by Chris Ferrie, 2022, children's science, 32 pages
From general relativity to quantum physics, from astrophysics to rocket science and from robotics to climate change, this book will intrigue and teach young scientists a variety of subjects.

** In Schrödinger's original formulation, a cat, a flask of poison, and a radio-active source are placed in a sealed box.  If an internal monitor (e.g., a Geiger counter) detects radioactivity (i.e., a single atom decaying), the flask is shattered, releasing the poison, which kills the cat.  As illustrated, the objects are in a state of superposition:  the cat is both alive and dead. Wikipedia

No comments: