Sunday, July 2, 2023

Jump Back Up ~ the theme for July

I have not posted a calendar from the Action for Happiness folks for awhile.  July's theme is Jump Back Up.  Click the calendar to enlarge it so you can read the suggestions.  Today, change "I can't" into "I can't ... yet."

In Colleen's Thirteen Thursday post, her #9 says:
I’m reading a book from the library that I requested they purchase.  It’s a Science fiction novel, a story based around real quantum physics theories called The Observer by Robert Lanza.  Here is an excerpt: "'Quantum foam' refers to the basic 'stuff' in the universe, the stuff that exists before you even get to basic particles such as electrons.  'Superposition' means that the quantum foam is not matter, nor energy, but the potential of becoming either.  It is, basically, just a cloud of probabilities.  That is really important.  Even when you do have that electron — as a part of an atom, for instance — it too is just a quantum foam probability becoming a particle or becoming a wave of energy.  Science has established that thoroughly and completely.
So we're still talking about Quantum Physics, huh?  I've written about Robert Lanza at least four times in the past (click HERE), so I'm very curious about this book.

The Observer ~ by Robert Lanza and Nancy Kress, 2022, science fiction (Caribbean), 395 pages

Caro Soames-Watkins, a talented neurosurgeon whose career has been upended by controversy, is jobless, broke, and the sole supporter of her sister, a single mother with a severely disabled child.  When she receives a strange job offer from Nobel Prize-winning scientist Sam Watkins, a great uncle she barely knows, desperation forces her to take it in spite of serious suspicions.

Watkins has built a mysterious medical facility in the Caribbean to conduct research into the nature of consciousness, reality, and life after death.  Helped in his mission by his old friend, eminent physicist George Weigert, and young tech entrepreneur Julian Dey, Sam has gone far beyond curing the body to develop a technology that could solve the riddle of mortality.  Two obstacles stand in their way:  someone on the inside is leaking intel, and Watkins' failing body must last long enough for the technology to be ready.  As danger mounts, Caro finds more than she bargained for, including murder, love, and a deeper understanding into the nature of reality.

Sunday Salon
 
is hosted by Deb Nance at Readerbuzz.

3 comments:

Mark Baker said...

I think that book might be a bit too much for me to get into. Even though it is science fiction, it might be over my head. But if you pick it up, I hope you enjoy it.

Mae Travels said...

Science fiction purports to offer a lot of food for thought, but I wonder!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I wish I understood quantum physics theories. But, sadly, though I bravely took all the higher level math classes I could take in school, I never took physics. Colleen sounds like she has a good understanding of physics, and she seems able to explain the concepts in ways that even I could understand.

If you read this book, I hope you will share it with us.