Saturday, July 29, 2023

Am I old yet? Maybe I should wear more purple

When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple ~ edited by Sandra Haldeman Martz, 1987, women's studies, 181 pages, 9/10

This book is a collection of writings and photographs that challenge stereotypes of older women in America.  I wrote about it in 2016 (HERE) when I rated it 9/10, saying, "Back to school ~ my life story."

It worked its way to the top of a pile of books during my move, and I've picked it up to read again.  But why isn't the old woman on the cover wearing purple?

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am all about wearing purple and living life to its fullest. This book makes me think of the Red Hat Society (they wear purple, red hats, and encourage women to enjoy life)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, when Donna and I had the bookstore in Tennessee, we paid the national fee and started a Red Hat group called the Plum Crazy Red Hat Mamas, with monthly meetings in our store. Yesterday, I was wearing my purple tee shirt with the silhouette of a woman's head wearing a red hat. The words below the image say, "Well behaved women rarely make history."

This was our blog (one of my many blogs):
http://plumcrazyredhatmamas.blogspot.com/

Here are the last five of us, but I'm the only one of us still living:
https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/05/once-upon-birthday.html

Hey, Helen! I just noticed that YOU left a comment on that birthday post!

Helen's Book Blog said...

I love that you and Donna had a Red Hat Society in your bookstore!