Friday, April 23, 2021

Talk Like Shakespeare Day

Can you translate this?  That is my question.

So how doth one talketh like Shakespeare?  For starters...
  • Instead of "you," say "thou."
  • Instead of "ya'll," say "ye." 
  • Instead of "Hey you," say "hark thee."
  • And rhyme something, if you can.
  • Don't waste time saying "it," just use the letter "t" ('tis, t'will, t'would, I'll do't).
  • When in doubt, add "-eth" to the end of verbs (he runneth, he trippeth, he falleth).
  • To add weight to your opinions, start your sentence with "Methinks."
Thou canst find lots of other ideas on the Talk Like Shakespeare website.  Have fun!

3 comments:

AuntyDon said...

To be or not to be.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Correct. Donna wins the Shakespeare Quote of the Day Award (or something like that). Of course, I would expect a retired English teacher to recognize that quote.
2 bee ... oar ... not 2 bee

Unknown said...


To: Bonnie, Clawdia, et al

Obviously, the answer to the Talk Like Shakespeare quiz is:

Two be(eth) or not to be(eth). You gave all of those Shakespearean clues just to throw us off.

I listened to the Mozart Bassoon Concerto. But before I did, I walked around the building, just once for a little (and I mean little) walk. I was thinking about bassoons and what came to mind was not the word "bassoon", but the speculation that it was probably a bassoon that was used to represent Peter's Grandfather in Prokofiev's "Peter & the Wolf". I rushed home, looked online and - yay! - discovered I was right.

BTW, you looked pretty sharp in your band uniform & 'soon.

Sheila Rachel Schultz, apt. #208-ish