Sunday, April 11, 2021

Sunday scribblings ~ make it a pawsome day

I got the idea for Sunday Scribblings from a blogger who calls herself Lady in Read, who commented on my blog post a few days ago.  It sounds like my kind of title (or label), so here are my scribbles.
Make it a pawsome day
April 11th is National Pet Day 2021.  National Pet Day was established in 2006 by animal welfare advocate Colleen Paige.  She wanted to spotlight the joy pets bring people and focus on the many pets waiting in shelters for homes.  To encourage people to adopt rather than buy purebreds, the term "Don't Shop! Adopt!" was created.  Having a pet is good for your health; it lowers your blood pressure and sweeps away loneliness.

Cupcake from Jilly's
On Monday, I heard that Jilly's had sent cupcakes for Crown Center residents, so I went downstairs and selected this pink one with a strawberry on top.  Jilly's is a "cupcake bar and café" serving "eats and treats" across Delmar, half a block away.  They serve lunch Monday-Saturday and brunch on Sunday.  Thanks for the sweets, Jilly's!
Wear your mask
Mona Lisa wearing a mask?  Good for her.  I wrote about the 
Louvre's famous Mona Lisa painting last Sunday.

Just Finished
Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky ~ by Kathi Appelt and Jeanne Cannella Schmitzer, 2001, children's history (Kentucky), 7/10
Reading
The Lost Stetl ~ by Max Gross, 2020, historical fiction (Poland)
Up Next
Experiences of God ~ by Jürgen Moltmann, translated by Margaret Kohl, 1979 (English translation 1980), theology
Added to my Kindle
  • The Elements of a Home: Curious Histories behind Everyday Household Objects, from Pillows to Forks
    ~ by Amy Azzarito, 2020, history
  • Remembering a Great American Hero Marian Anderson: "The Lady from Philadelphia" ~ by Emile Henwood, 2020, biography
  • Lives of the Stoics: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius ~ by Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman, 2020, philosophy
Yeah, added to my Kindle, even though I have a million books I should be reading in order to free up my bookshelves for the physical books I already own.  I'm only slightly exaggerating.

3 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I spend a lot of my day on Sundays visiting blogs and seeing what people are up to. I guess it's a contemporary version of our Sunday dinners with my grandparents when I was a kid.

A cupcake bar and cafe? Sounds like my sort of place.

I shall look for Elements of a Home and Lives of the Stoics. Both of those sound like books I'd like to read.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

The cupcake looks tasty.
My problem isn’t too many books, it’s not enough bookshelves.

Wishing you a great reading week

stacybuckeye said...

Lovely cupcake. I hope you have a great reading week :)