Thursday, December 29, 2022

Thirteen Thoughts for Thursday

1.  Word of the Year 2022
gas·light /ˈɡasˌlīt / verb (gerund or present participle: gaslighting) = to manipulate some-one using psychological methods so that they question their own sanity or powers of reasoning.  Example:  "He was gaslighting me into thinking I was crazy."

2.  In July 2021, I tried to download the free companion to this book and couldn't.  I even asked for help on my blog, HERE.  Last week, I was looking through my Kindle and ran across Am I Alone Here?  It showed as unread.  I thought, "But I DID read this book."

3.  Upon investigation, I discovered it was the unread COMPANION that I once-upon-a-time couldn't figure out how to download.  So help me solve the mystery, folks.  How is it that I now have this "free companion" book?  I have no idea.  The world is a mysterious place, especially with our devices doing their own thing.

4.  So I now have both the book and the companion on my Kindle, and they were NOT together.  Yes, the book itself shows as "read."  But not the companion.

5.  Next question:  Do I want to read that companion-book now, long after I finished the book?  No, because I don't remember details from the book 17 months after reading it.

6.  What if?  
Liz at Laws of Gravity used this image to ask:  "What if you found that $10 million was mistakenly deposited into your bank account due to a computer glitch?"  I'm not the only one who can't imagine NOT immediately informing the bank of the mistake.  Lisa commented, "Someone would be missing it, so they'd probably already have contacted the bank."  Exactly!

7.  Last week, I thought I'd see the Little Women movie on Friday, but it was cancelled because of bad weather and temperatures below zero.  St. Louis got nearly 3 inches of snow on Thursday, but my suburb to the west got more than that.  No, I didn't go out.

8.  I corrected the grammar book I was reading (a book I don't recommend at all).  Click HERE for the story, but basically the author called "Hindu" a religion.  Nope!  That should be "Hinduism" like the "Paganism" she had on the list.

9.  Word of the Day

pa·gan·ism /ˈpāɡəˌniz(ə)m / noun = (1) a religion other than one of the main world religions, specifically a non-Christian or pre-Christian religion.  (2) a modern religious movement incorporating beliefs or practices from outside the main world religions, especially nature worship.  Example:  "Paganism includes respecting mother earth."

10.  Do you order things online?  Or do you prefer to shop in person?  Because of Covid, I've been purchasing much more online.


11.  This chair also has eyes.  These photos give you an indication of how hard it is to see Clawdia when I walk through my apartment.  However, she's smart and knows I don't always see her.  As I approach, she says, "Mewp."  (Neither photo is of Clawdia.)

12.  Higher math?  I saw an ad for a charger that was on sale for $25.  It had been $38, so according to them, you save $12.  I guess I really am old.  In my day, a $12 savings on something that once cost $38 would then cost $26.  If all they are charging is $25, then it's an even better deal than what they are advertising.

13.  Speaking of math, whatever happened to that "new math" from the 1960s?  Click HERE to read all about it.
 

No comments: