Thursday, December 8, 2022

Finding my strengths

StrengthsFinder 2.0
 ~ by Tom Rath, 2007, self-help, 183 pages, 10/10

Do you have the opportunity to do what you do best every day?  Chances are, you don't.  All too often, our natural talents go untapped.  From the cradle to the cubicle, we devote more time to fixing our shortcomings than to developing our strengths.  To help people uncover their talents, Gallup introduced the first version of its online assessment, StrengthsFinder, in 2001.  That ignited a global conversation and helped millions to discover their top five talents.  In its 2007 national bestseller, StrengthsFinder 2.0, Gallup unveiled the new and improved version of its popular assessment, with 34 themes.  You can read this book in one sitting, but you may use it as a reference far longer.

That information is from online.  I'm fascinated by the ideas, like this one from page 25:
"One of you may learn from reading several books each month, while someone else learns primarily from doing, and yet another learns from an insatiable curiosity and Googles everything."
Check, check, and check.  Hmm, I learn in all these ways.  Probably, though, it's my curiosity that keeps me learning new things, even in my 80's.  When we went into lockdown in March of 2020, I taught myself how to Zoom.  I figured out how to use my new iPhone by googling the information, since I couldn't sit down beside someone to show me how to do the various things on an iPhone.

Here's "me" according to this book.  My five strengths (with snippets) are:

1.  Communication (pp. 65-68)

"You will always do well in roles that require you to capture people's attention.  Think about a career in teaching, sales, marketing, ministry, or the media.  Your Communication talents are likely to flourish in these areas" (p. 66).  That's good to know, since I used to teach communication skills and I'm a retired minister and I'm a published writer (see the next snippet).

"If you enjoy writing, consider publishing your work" (p. 68).  I've "been there, done that," as they say.  My writing has been published locally, nationally, and internationally.  I wrote book reviews for the local newspaper, sold my first article to a national magazine, and people all over the world now read my blog (look at the visitor map at the bottom of this page that showed this on Tuesday).


2.  Connectedness (pp. 73-76)

Chuck M. was quoted as saying, "I have a big interest in learning about all different religions.  I am reading a book right now that talks about Judaism versus Christianity versus the religion of the Canaanites, Buddhism, Greek mythology — it's really interesting how all of these tie together in some way" (p. 74).  And I (Bonnie) taught "Religions of the World" at Chattanooga State Community College for about a decade.

"Explore specific ways to expand your sense of connection, such as starting a book club..." (p. 74).  I've started more than one book club.  When Donna and I had a bookstore, we had a book club to get people into the store.  I'm still friends with some of those who attended.  When I moved to St. Louis, I started a book club here, where I live.

"Your philosophy of life compels you to move beyond your own self-interests and the interests of your immediate constituency and sphere of influence.  As such, you see the broader implications for your community and the world.  Explore ways to communicate these insights to others" (p. 75).  I have done this in the book clubs by choosing subjects to read about and discuss in our meetings.

3.  Empathy (pp. 97-100)

"You can sense the emotions of those around you.  You can feel what they are feeling as though their feelings are your own.  Intuitively, you are able to see the world through their eyes and share their perspective.  You do not necessarily agree with each person's perspective" (p. 97).  True; the time I got the most vivid feeling was when one woman's absolute loathing for me was almost rolling off of her.  Sadly, she was a neighbor.  I have no idea why she felt that way, since I liked her.

4.  Includer (pp. 117-120)

"You want to include people and make them feel part of the group. ... You want to expand the group so that as many people as possible can benefit from its support" (p. 117).  Yes, the more the merrier, I say.

5.  Intellection (pp. 129-132)

"You are the kind of person who enjoys your time alone because it is your time for musing and reflection.  You are introspective.  In a sense you are your own best companion, as you post yourself questions and try out answers on yourself to see how they sound" (p. 129).  Yes, the more the merrier, as I said above, but I definitely need "me time" to process things.

"Consider beginning or continuing your studies in philosophy, literature, or psychology.  You will always enjoy subjects that stimulate your thinking" (p. 130).  I had a double major for my bachelor's degree:  (1) in philosophy and religion and (2) in English language and literature.  It sounds like I hit all the right subjects, doesn't it?

"Engaging people in intellectual and philosophical debate is one way that you make sense of things" (p. 131).  As I said above, this is what I like to do in book clubs.

"Take time to write.  Writing might be the best way for you to crystallize and integrate your thoughts" (p. 131).  Uh, I think I've mentioned writing enough already.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I recently did this (or a very similar) test and you and I share the same top 3 strengths.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Well, Helen, it's no wonder then that I enjoy reading your blog so much. Interesting that we share so many strengths.