Friday, December 16, 2022

One of my new books

Evolution of the Word: The New Testament in the Order the Books Were Written ~ by Marcus J. Borg, foreword by Bishop Lowell Erdahl, 2012, religion, viii + 593 pages

Borg presents the New Testament books in the chronological order in which they were written, and highlights how what began as a radical Jewish faith transformed itself into Christianity.  He emphasizes the vital importance of seeing the documents in their ancient setting and provides valuable contextual commentary on each of the twenty-seven books of the New Testament.

Huh, this is the first I've heard of this book, which was among the books I inherited from Donna after she died.  I'm surprised because Borg is one of my favorite authors, and he wrote my favorite theological book:  The Heart of Christianity.

2 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I wonder how that changes things. Please tell us more soon.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Deb, I went back and added another sentence: "I'm surprised because Borg is one of my favorite authors, and he wrote my favorite theological book: The Heart of Christianity." He was one of the authors Donna and I met in person. Borg also co-authored books with John Dominic Crossan. I taught classes from books written by Borg and met his wife, the Rev. Marianne Borg (who also does workshops now). Marcus Borg died in 2015 (that's on my blog, too), so I was very surprised to find a book I didn't know existed. I must be getting old!