Thursday, December 22, 2022

Little Women in my Thursday Thoughts

1.  Do you remember the story of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott?  That novel follows the lives of the four March sisters — Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy — and details their passage from childhood to womanhood.  Those four girls called their mother Marmee.

2.  Now there are four books about the four daughters.  I told you about those books in a recent Sunday Salon post.

3.  I phoned an old friend recently, and we talked about our 6th grade production of Little Women, which was 2 hours long.  I played the part of Marmee, and Shirley was Meg.  That was 70 years ago, when we were just 12 years old.  I told you that HERE.  You can read more about the novel in Wikipedia.
 
4.  You probably wonder what made me think of Little Women after all these years.  Surprise!  It's the Friday Afternoon Matinee Movie scheduled to be shown on the big screen in our Theater Room here on December 23rd.  That's tomorrow, and I'll be there.

5.  Here's a promo for the 2019 version we'll see.  Do you recognize any of the actors?

6.  I found this advice in a short article:  Decluttering should happen every time you go from room to room.  Take something with you to put in its correct place as you go. 

7.  Colleen quoted Aaron Freeman about "dying" in her recent Thirteen Thursday (#7):  "...your energy’s still around.  According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you’re just less orderly."  I like the idea of being here, but less orderly.

8.  "Common foods that may trigger your nose to run when you eat include ... red peppers."  There's a name for this condition:  gustatory rhinitis.  And I have it, apparently.

9.  I guess I'll quit eating in the Café and getting the weekly meals, since peppers show up in a lot of their foods.  Or maybe I'll just order fresh fruits and yogurts and scrambled eggs when I eat there.

10.  The best part of Christmas is hearing from my friends and family who live far away.

11.  One of my neighbors has Covid.  When I delivered a small package that had arrived for her, I slid it under her door, not wanting to face her.  Another neighbor was spraying inside her car Monday, after having driven the sick person to the doctor for confirmation.

12.  Today is my maternal grandmother's birthday.  Inez Geneva Underwood Reynolds (1880-1943) was born 142 years ago on this day.  She's the second person from the left on the front row, and that tall girl on the front row is my mother.  This photo of Mom's family was taken about 1928.

13.  The snow in this Christmas card I got from my daughter Barbara in 2020 looks delightful, but the wind and snow predicted across the middle of the United States may not be what we want for the holidays.  Especially for travelers.  Temps are predicted to be below 0°F in St. Louis today and tomorrow.  On the other hand, there’s SNOW place like home for the holidays.
 

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I hope you stay warm and safe as the storm blows through. I feel lucky (in more ways than one) to be in the UK avoiding the storm completely. Have a wonderful holiday!