Friday, December 23, 2022

Correcting the grammar book

Kiss My Asterisk: A Feisty Guide to Punctuation and Grammar ~ by Jenny Baranick, 2014, English language, 178 pages

I have this on Kindle, which shows "location" but not "page" numbers.  The error I'm about to correct is found at "loc. 1420" in the chapter on capitalization, where it says:

We also capitalize religions:
Christianity, Judaism, Hindu, Islam, Paganism

I didn't add any punctuation to that quote because I want you to see what's actually in the book.  Look at those religions she's listed.  Oops!  "Hindu" is NOT the religion, but a person who follows the religion called Hinduism.  Those three little letters are needed to make that distinction.  People don't follow the religion of "Christian" or "Pagan" or "Hindu."  Thus, the third word in that series of five should be Hinduism.

Yeah, it's important to know when to add "-ism."

(Click HERE or the title above to read what I wrote about the book when I bought it.)

No comments: