Monday, May 14, 2012

What's up?

Goldendaze Ginnie posted What's Up with Up?  I think it's a good day to write about "up" on this blog.  Ginnie shortened an email, and I'll shorten it even more.  I've added a couple of uses of UP, but most of this is from Ginnie's post.

The English word UP has more meanings than any other two-letter word and is listed in the dictionary as:
adjective
adverb
noun
preposition
verb
We all know UP means toward the sky, but why do we say we wake UP in the morning?

Why does a topic come UP at a meeting?

Why do we speak UP?

Why are officers UP for election, and why is it UP to the secretary to write UP a report?

George Carlin
People stir UP trouble, line UP for movie tickets, work UP an appetite, and think UP excuses.

And some people are stand UP comedians.

To be dressed is one thing, but to be dressed UP has a completely different meaning.

After an argument, we kiss and make UP

We seem to be mixed UP about UP!

A clogged-UP drain must be opened UP.

We open UP a store in the morning, but we close it UP at night.

And what could she be UP to?

I could go on and on, but my time is UP, so I'll wrap UP this post.

If you want to continue this list, it's UP to you!

(This was also written UP on my Joyful Noiseletter blog.)

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginnie added a "P.S." to her comment on another post that said, "I think you posted a much better rendition of 'Up' than mine!" She commented, here:

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/05/teaser-love-in-bible.html

Bonnie Jacobs said...

As for using "UP" (hey, there's another one -- to "use UP"), we can build on good ideas we get from each other. Now I'll be thinking about why we say we used UP all the paper, for example, when the stack actually went DOWN. And why do we say "eat UP"? I'd better stop, or I'll be doing this all day.