Thursday, May 31, 2012

BTT (#24) ~ DIY book

Booking Through Thursday asks:
If you could write a book, what would it be about, and why?
I'd write a novel with an older woman as the main character.  I'd make her an outrageous older woman, like this purple button I have.  She would be someone feisty!  It seems most books are about "coming of age," but rarely about the threshold from motherhood to old age.

I'm reading a memoir Traveling with Pomegranates (2009) by Sue Monk Kidd, who wrote the novel The Secret Life of Bees, and her daughter, Ann Kidd Taylor.  It begins when Sue is grappling with turning 50 and Ann has just graduated from college.  They are at the threshold of two stages of the maiden-mother-crone trilogy, shown here on a wall hanging I bought.  With her daughter grown, Sue is moving toward old age, which can be seen as a time of wisdom.  Ann is trying to figure out what to do with her life.

Thinking of a novel featuring an older woman, I came up with The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg (2005).
Betta Nolan moves to a small town after her husband dies, to try to begin anew.  She is determined to find pleasure in her simple daily routines.  Among those who help her are the 10-year-old boy next door, three wild women friends from her college days, a 20-year-old who is struggling to find his place in the world, and a handsome man ready for love.

1 comment:

Rachael-Madison ^__^ said...

I love your BTT response! It's unique all right, and I bet the old women would be kick-butt and hilarious (even though I usually read YA haha)