Friday, May 4, 2012

Beginning ~ with a return from the dead

The Beginner's Goodbye ~ by Anne Tyler, 2012, fiction (Maryland)
The strangest thing about my wife's return from the dead was how other people reacted.
Oh, yeah, that one grabs me.  His example of people's reaction, still on the first page, is running into their "old next-door neighbor."  The poor man wouldn't look at Dorothy, after having visibly reacted to seeing her, and he spent the rest of the conversation trying not to look in her direction.

I've got to go now, so I can keep reading.  The book is due back at the library in less than a week.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click here for today's Mister Linky.

4 comments:

wcs53 said...

Nice opening! I think I'd be reacting strangely too! My Friday post:
http://wcs53.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/book-beginnings-and-friday-56-the-orkney-scroll-4-may/

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen's Book Blog said...

That's a great first sentence! Enjoy your weekend

Friday, May 04, 2012 7:16:00 PM


(Bonnie said... My post posted twice, so Helen's comment was on the one I deleted.)

Kristin said...

I've never read anything by Anne Tyler before, but I've heard really good things. Hope you are enjoying The Beginner's Goodbye!

Here's my Book Beginnings post.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

That one is really terrific. I am going to pin it on Pinterest. I'm a big Anne Tyler fan, so that puts me in the mood to read one of her books.

Thanks for posting it on Book Beginnings!