Friday, May 25, 2012

Beginning ~ in a Greek museum

Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story ~ by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor, 2009, memoir (Greece, Turkey, South Carolina, France)
"Sitting on a bench in the National Archaeological Museum in Greece, I watch my twenty-two-year-old daughter, Ann, angle her camera before a marble bas-relief of Demeter and Persephone unaware of the small ballet she's performing -- her slow, precise steps forward, the tilt of her head, the way she dips to one knee as she turns her torso, leaning into the sharp afternoon light.  The scene reminds me of something, a memory mayvbe, but I can't recall what.  I only know she looks beautiful and impossibly grown, and for reasons not clear to me I'm possessed by an acute feeling of loss."
In a comment on another blog, someone said, "I just read Sue Monk Kidd’s The Dance of the Dissident Daughter."  I thoroughly enjoyed reading that book, which has this subtitle:  A Woman’s Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine.  When I mentioned I'm about to read Traveling with Pomegranates, she said it's on her TBR list as well.  I was very impressed with The Secret Lfes of Bees.

Some of us have talked about starting an online book club to discuss Traveling with Pomegranates.  Are you interested?  If so, go here to sign up.  Here's a synopsis:
In this intimate dual memoir, the #1 New York Times bestselling novelist and her daughter, Ann, offer distinct perspectives as a fifty-something and a twenty-something, each on a quest to redefine herself and to rediscover each other.  Between 1998 and 2000, Sue and Ann travel throughout Greece and France.  Sue, coming to grips with aging, caught in a creative vacuum, longing to reconnect with her grown daughter, struggles to enlarge a vision of swarming bees into a novel.  Ann, just graduated from college, heartbroken and benumbed by the classic question about what to do with her life, grapples with a painful depression.


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click here for today's Mister Linky.

8 comments:

JC Jones said...

Interesting start to a book. Here is my post: Book Beginnings

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I haven't read anything by Sue Monk Kidd since The Secret Life of Bees, but this memoir sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

Kristin said...

Wow...this sounds like a really good read. I've never heard of the other books by this author, but will definitely be looking into them.

Here's my Book Beginnings Post.

Maria said...

Interesting beginning. This sounds like it could be a really good book.

Here's my Friday Meme Post

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I haven't read any of their other books, although I have at least one on my TBR shelf. I should start with that one.

Thanks for taking part in Book Beginnings!

Brona said...

These books have been floating around in the background of my consciousness for some time now.

Your quote and remarks have made them jump forward and grab my attention...oh no more books to add to my TBR piles!!

Ginnie said...

I like Sue Monk Kidd's writing and was fascinated with "The Dance of the Dissisent Daughter". I felt she bared her soul and I could relate fully.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I'd like to read this book, but am swamped right now. I'll follow your online book club reading of it and keep it on my TBR list.