Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday Salon ~ salad days

SALAD DAYS

I don't usually get excited about food preparation, maybe because it too often seems like a lot of work to make a meal for one.  I do, however, like to experiment with salads.  My process is to toss in whatever I have on hand that sounds good to me at the moment.  It could be leftovers, like this one.  On Thursday, I had a hard-boiled egg from breakfast, a tomato, and some leftover asparagus from a recent meal.  So I cut up those together in a bowl.  After taking this photo, I added Roasted Onion Parmesan Dressing and called it a salad.

My lunch, which was delicious, now becomes my first post for Weekend Cooking @ Beth Fish Reads.  It's open to anyone with a food-related post to share:  book reviews, recipes, photographs, random thoughts.  If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up.

CAN YOU GUESS?

The title of my sermon at St. Luke United Methodist Church this morning is Please, Thank You, Oops, and Wow!  Can you guess what the subject is?  If it's any help, the two scriptures I chose are First Samuel 3:1-10 and Mark 10: 13-15.
First Samuel 3
 1 Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the LORD under Eli. The word of the LORD was rare in those days; visions were not widespread.
 2 At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grow dim so that he could not see, was lying down in his room;
 3 the lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the LORD, where the ark of God was.
 4 Then the LORD called, "Samuel! Samuel!" and he said, "Here I am!"
 5 and ran to Eli, and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he said, "I did not call; lie down again." So he went and lay down.
 6 The LORD called again, "Samuel!" Samuel got up and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am, for you called me." But he said, "I did not call, my son; lie down again."
 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, and the word of the LORD had not yet been revealed to him.
 8 The LORD called Samuel again, a third time. And he got up and went to Eli, and said, "Here I am, for you called me." Then Eli perceived that the LORD was calling the boy.
 9 Therefore Eli said to Samuel, "Go, lie down; and if he calls you, you shall say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.'" So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
 10 Now the LORD came and stood there, calling as before, "Samuel! Samuel!" And Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."

Mark 10
 13 People were bringing little children to him in order that he might touch them; and the disciples spoke sternly to them.
 14 But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant and said to them, "Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs.
 15 Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it."

WHAT I'M READING

Just finished
1.  One Hand Clapping: Zen Stories for All Ages ~ by Rafe Martin, illustrated by Junko Morimoto, 1995, YA religion, 9/10
Currently
2.  The Gifts of the Jews: How a Tribe of Desert Nomads Changed  the Way Everyone Thinks and Feels ~ by Thomas Cahill, 1998, history
Concurrently (with my study group)
3.  Living Buddha, Living Christ ~ by Thích Nhất Hạnh, 1995, religion
Next up
4.  Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story ~ by Sue Monk Kidd and Ann Kidd Taylor, 2009, memoir (Greece, Turkey, South Carolina, France)

5.  Close to Famous ~ by Joan Bauer, 2011, YA fiction (West Virginia)

Visit the Sunday Salon's Facebook page for links to more posts.

7 comments:

Beth F said...

The salad looks so pretty with those great colors! Your reading list is full of books that make you think ... enjoy!

JoAnn said...

Salad days are definitely here! I made a one from leftovers yesterday, too... it was delicious.

Helen's Book Blog said...

A really good salad is just so darn yummy! My mom makes the best one, I eat it pretty much every night with dinner

Anonymous said...

Loved Gift of the Jews. I hope you end up loving it too.

Carole said...

Salads are a great way to deal with all sorts of leftovers!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Somebody else improvises in her kitchen. Thanks, Ruth, I enjoyed reading your post:
http://www.rutheverhart.com/blog/?p=1834

Bonnie Jacobs said...

The subject of my sermon was PRAYER:

Please = intercession
Thank You = gratitude
Oops! = confession and request for forgiveness
Wow! = expressing awe at God's wonderful world

Both scriptures are about children. Can we be as excited as children about "Wow" things?