Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Four things ~ a meme

I haven't done a meme like this lately, so here's one for ya!

Four jobs I have had in my life:
1. file clerk ~ making 75-cents an hour, back in 1954, when I was in junior high school and working part-time

2. stuffer ~ I helped work my way through college by stuffing comics and advertising flyers into the local Sunday newspaper

3. freelance writer ~ one who, as Robert Benchley said, "is paid per piece or per word or perhaps"

4. editor ~ of two in-house publications, where I took all of the photos we published and wrote nearly all of the articles
Four books I read over and over:
1. Tao te Ching ~ by Lao Tzu ~ translated by Stephen Mitchell

2. Herland ~ by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

3. Genesis, the first book of the Bible ~ Stephen Mitchell's translation is among the best

4. Time and Again ~ by Jack Finney
Four places I have lived:
Kiki
1. in an apartment with a lovable gray cat named Duchess

2. in a house with a gray and white Persian cat named Jack

3. in a house with a gray and white Manx cat named Hobbit

4. in an apartment with a tabby-point Siamese cat named Kiki
Four books I recommend:
1. Remarkable Creatures ~ Tracy Chevalier, 2010, fiction, 9/10

2. The Secret Life of Bees ~ by Sue Monk Kidd, 2002, fiction, 10/10

3. Miss Rumphius ~ by Barbara Cooney, 1982, children's fiction, 10/10

4. The Gnostic Gospels ~ by Elaine Pagels, 1979, religion, 10/10
Four places I have been:
1. in hot water
2. in love
3. indisposed
4. in the know
Four of my favorite foods:
1. fried okra, like my mother used to make

2. Greek salad

3. little green olives

4. grilled salmon with lime juice, and maybe asparagus and a baked potato (now I'm hungry)
Four of my favorite drinks:
1. a tall glass of iced tea
2. cuppa hot tea
3. peach tea
4. green tea ... these all fit me to a "tea"
Four places I would rather be right now:
1. chatting with you over tea

2. stretched out on the sofa or my bed, reading a book

3. writing about books I've read

4. at a book-signing, with my adoring readers lined up across the lobby waiting for me to sign my bestselling book (well, nobody said it had to be likely!)
Four things that are very special in my life:
Bonnie and Cady
1. three children, seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren (in other words, my family)

2. good books

3. my best friend

4. my cat who loves me
Four bloggers I hope will do this meme:
Sheila
1. Sheila of Book Journey

2. Helen of Helen's Book Blog

3. Beth of Blue Ridge Blue Collar Girl

4. Laurel-Rain of Accidental Moments
Addendum:
The memes come in!
Helen wrote Four Things--A Meme
Laurel-Rain wrote Four Things Meme--April 19
Sheila wrote Morning Meanderings…. Well Everyone Else Is Doing It….

6 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

You are so funny and this is cute :)

I am on my way out of town this morning but will try to implement this week....

Helen's Book Blog said...

This is a really fun meme so I am all over it. I'll try to get it done today.

And, how did you put captions under your photos?

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow, this one sounds like fun, Bonnie. I'll put it together and send you the link!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Bonnie, I just posted my four things here:

MY FOUR THINGS MEME

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Sheila, any time is fine. I look forward to what you'll say.

Helen, in Blogger, when you click on a photo to change the size, off to the right is "caption." Click on it and type whatever you like.

Laurel-Rain, I'll add your link to the bottom of this post ... and links to the memes of others as they arrive. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Good to see The Gnostic Gospels on your list. It's one of my favorites, too. I'm happy to see Remarkable Creatures on your list too, since I've been thinking about reading it.
Thanks !