Friday, April 22, 2011

Beginning ~ with an age difference

Here's the first paragraph of The White Darkness, a 2005 young adult novel by Geraldine McCaughrean;
"I have been in love with Titus Oates for quite a while now — which is ridiculous, since he's been dead for ninety years.  But look at it this way.  In ninety years I'll be dead, too, and then the age difference won't matter."
Even though it's been less than a week, I've already forgotten where I first read about this book.  Thanks, though, to whoever mentioned it because, after reading only this far, I'm already "into" this book.  The dust jacket tells me the main character is "obsessed with the Antarctic and the brave, romantic figure of Captain Oates from Scott's doomed expedition to the South Pole" and her uncle "takes her on a dream trip into the bleak Antarctic wilderness."  I'm ready to tag along with them.  Good beginning.  And it won the Printz Award.

This meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading. Then, share your impressions of that beginning. Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

8 comments:

Angie said...

Makes sense to me! lol

Helen's Book Blog said...

I've heard of this book but had no idea what it was about. Great opening!

Tales of Whimsy said...

When an odd but fascinating start!

Here is my BBF

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

What an intriguing idea for a story...thanks for sharing.

Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

Rikki said...

That is a very good observation. I love it.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Rikki, how interesting that you posted about The Lorax because today is Earth Day. I also included The Lorax in my Earth Day post:
http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/earth-day-2011.html

Katy said...

Nice beginning! And that cover is totally captivating. Thanks for sharing! And thanks for participating in Book Beginnings!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

The first line makes me remember how much I like this book!