Friday, April 1, 2011

Beginning ~ with superglue



The Red Judge ~ by Pauline Fisk, 2005, YA fiction
"I'll tell you when it all began.  It was the day my sister Cary came home from her first term at university with a forty-watt light bulb superglued to the top of her head."
Oh, yeah! I'd say this book has possibilities.


This meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading. Then, share your impressions of that beginning. Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Awesome first line. I so want to know how she superglued a lightbulb to her head!

Unknown said...

As I'm the author of the book, I can tell you with authority that it has been done! My son-in-law came home from clubbing to say he'd seen someone who'd done it, and they had their light-bulb flashing on and off. I've also seen, with my own eyes, a jazz musician who had a stuffed albatross fixed to the top of his head. Some mean feat! That was many years ago now, but when I started writing 'The Red Judge' I remembered it!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Knowing "Dave" was not the author's name, I left Pauline Fisk a message on her blog that day (April 4, 2011) asking if she had really written that comment. It's been almost six months, but I just today got a reply:

"Yes, Bonnie, it was me. My husband had logged me out on my computer and himself in, but not told me! Good to hear from you. Am on train but will follow your links when I get home."

I suspected she really DID write that comment because of the mention of the albatross, which was in the book:

"Some of her new college friends had body piercings and tattoos, and she was thinking of having something done too. One of them even had a stuffed albatross superglued to the top of his head. I said he sounded like an idiot, but Cary was impressed" (p. 21).