Friday, January 1, 2021

New Year's Day ~ spinach and black-eyed peas

When I was growing up, my family would eat spinach and black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.  I was in the mood for some black-eyed peas when I ordered groceries recently, so I have a can of them on my shelf.  I happen to have spinach, too, so I know what I'll eat on New Year's Day.  And I'll smile as I remember my parents and siblings around the table.

Why did we eat those two things on New Year's Day?  It was supposed to be lucky because the green of spinach represents dollars and the black-eyed peas are the color of pennies.  Do I believe that stuff?  No, but reading Mae's Food Blog on Tuesday made me smile:  What to Eat for New Year's Good Luck.  I remembered my family's tradition and went looking for an image to use here, though we never combined the two as they did in this picture.

If you want to know more about lucky foods, Woman's Day published an article three weeks ago about 20 New Year's Food Traditions That'll Bring You Good Luck in 2021.  Greens are #15, and black-eyed peas are #20.

No comments: