Thursday, August 27, 2020

Thursday Thirteen ~ DASHing

1.  My brother posted one of those "I'm going to see how many read this whole post" things on Facebook about diabetes devastating our family and how taking Metformin "may encourage the onset of dementia."

2.  He told us to copy and paste for friends to read, but I wrote that "instead of just posting this information and moving on past it, I'm going to share with you how I got OFF of Metformin, little brother.   I love you enough to share what worked for me."

3.  Here's how my story unfolded.  My doctor in Chattanooga suggested the Mediterranean Diet and, when I moved to St. Louis, my doctor here suggested the DASH Diet, I have followed each of these diets.

4.  Here's basically what I'm still doing:  Since having quadruple bypass surgery in February 2009, I have chosen healthy foods over processed foods and have lost 67 pounds slowly and carefully and safely over eleven-plus years.  Now I'm down from 224 pounds to 157 and still losing at an easy pace, by choice, by watching my intake.  I eat lots of colorful fruits and vegetables, rather than processed foods.  The less processed, the better.

5.  I have bought three DASH Diet books by Marla Heller, a registered dietician.  These have been very helpful to change my eating habits.
  • The DASH Diet Mediterranean Solution is at the top, promising "the best eating plan to control your weight and improve your health for life."
  • The DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution, on the right, says on the cover:  "2 weeks to drop pounds, boost metabolism, and get healthy."  It has two stages, starting with a two week "jump start" to reset your metabolish.
  • The DASH Diet Younger You (below) promises on the cover that you can "shed twenty years — and pounds — in just ten weeks."
6.  Here's the link to these three books by Marla Heller that I've purchased.  I think it's enough to just get the blue book at the top, which combines the Mediterranean Diet and the DASH Diet into what Heller calls the MedDASH Diet for short.

7.  A key point is to think of "diet" as every-thing you choose to eat, and I told Jim (my brother), "Your library probably has a copy, if you don't want to buy it, or I'll have Amazon send you a copy, if you want it."

8.  I also told him there are Facebook pages for people to encourage each other to stick with the program, and I'm in two of them.

9.  If you are interested in the Facebook groups, the most important one for me is the MedDASH group, using the blue book at the top.

10.  I'm also in the  DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution on Facebook, which uses the gold book.  I joined it before the MedDash book was published, then added that one when the MedDASH book came out.

11.  There are other books by Marla Heller that I didn't buy, including The DASH Diet Action Plan and The Everyday DASH Diet Cookbook, if you want to explore all of them.  You don't need a separate cookbook, however, because she makes meal suggestions in each of the books.

12.   Did someone ask what DASH means?  DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension.

13.  Ask me questions in the comments, and I'll try to explain better.






The only rule for Thursday Thirteen is to write about 13 things.  For more information and to sign up, click on New Thursday 13.

5 comments:

CountryDew said...

This is a great post, and I think I will get that blue book. My husband and I both have hypertension and he's in the pre-diabetic range. Unfortunately, I am not able to control what he eats away from home but this sounds realistic. I have never found a diet book that actually made sense to me and works. Maybe this will be the one.

colleen said...

Looks promising. That's great that you took matters into your own hands and lost so much weight. The Schwarzbein Principle is a good book too.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Maybe the "20 pounds in 10 weeks" works for some, but I think making slow and simple lifestyle changes makes the most sense. I did not immediately lose a lot of weight because, for one thing, I first had to heal from bypass surgery. Anita (Country Dew), I wish you the best and if you have questions, just ask. Colleen, I'll look up that book, but at this stage of my life (80 years old), I really don't need more books.

Helen's Book Blog said...

Slow and steady is the way to do it. I've lost 37 pounds since January through exercise and eating less. It's tougher to do post-menopause, but so far so good.

Mary Quast said...

Congrats on getting a hold of your health. Having a plan is great! I agree with Helen, slow and steady is the way to go. I find routine is my key...turning good habits into routine. We diet in the sense of healthy choices and food prep together as a family.