Friday, August 14, 2020

Propensity

"Who in the world uses words like propensity?"  That sentence was in Elza's blog post today that quoted the opening lines of The Rosie Result by Graeme Simsion:
"I was standing on one leg shucking oysters when the problems began. If I had not been a scientist, conscious of the human propensity to see patterns where they do not exist, I might have concluded that I was being punished by some deity for the sin of pride."
Word of the Day
pro·pen·si·ty / prəˈpensədē / noun =      an inclination or natural tendency to behave in a particular way.  Example:  "a propensity for violence."
Confession:  I, for one, have a propensity for using words like that.  LOL.  I wonder if my readers agree more with Elza? or with me?

Now I'm thinking of reading the whole series (of three).  I remember seeing the first book, but somehow I never quite got around to it.
  • The Rosie Project, 2013
  • The Rosie Effect, 2014
  • The Rosie Result, 2019
If you've read any of these books, please tell me what you think.  Hmm, I just noticed all the birds in this post.  Was it simply a coincidence?  Or was it my propensity to notice odd little things that happen around me?

3 comments:

Marg said...

I loved the first book but haven't made it any further into the series yet. But I do have a propensity to do that with series!

Elza Reads said...

Hi there Bonnie! I love this post! You should do this more often. From now on, I am going to send all "difficult" words to you for a better perspective.

Thanks so much for the shout out. Much appreciated!

All three books in The Don Tillman series are worth the read and you will find some lovely, worth discussing, words in there.

I also loved your post yesterday on Leaving Time. I've lost twin boys at 22 weeks 2 years ago and yes, my grief was as big as an elephant. And that book just brought so much comfort.

Here's my review Leaving Time

Hope you will have a wonderful weekend and I will be visiting you more often!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Elza, you say I should do this more often, but I talk about words regularly already. I'm a word person from way-way back. Take a look at the posts this brings up by clicking on the label "words," and enjoy:
https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/search/label/words