Wednesday, August 12, 2020

A new word for me ~ derecho

On Monday, we had a sudden storm move through, bringing a wall of rain so heavy that I couldn't see the buildings in Clayton above the trees — and they are only a mile away.  There's a leak somewhere above me that trickles through the wall and into my kitchen, so Scott called to ask if I had water in my kitchen floor.  I went to investigate, and I did have.  It was only a small puddle, so I told him I'd mop it up myself.

Neighbors, however, began inquiring on NextDoor (the neighborhood connection), if others had lost power.  Yes, a lot of people did.  Today, we got email about the electricity still being restored, three days later.  Trees were down all over the place.

Word of the Day
de·re·cho / dāˈrāˌCHō / noun US = a line of intense, widespread, and fast-moving windstorms and sometimes thunderstorms that moves across a great distance and is characterized by damaging winds.
This morning we got a "Restoration Update" online that included my new word.
"More than 800 co-workers have safely restored power to nearly 90% of customers impacted by Monday's weather event, which has been categorized as a 'derecho.'  Crews have continued to make progress overnight, but the remaining outages are extremely time-intensive and require difficult repair work.  Additional resources have been called in to help from neighboring utilities, and will be working through Thursday in neighborhoods to complete restoration."

Le Rousset
WindowSwap

I am looking across fields and rolling hillsides, as I peer through Jean-Yves's window in Le Rousset, Burgundy, France.  I looked it up and learned that Le Rousset is a small village, with a population of 253 in 2007, with only 178 houses, and some of these were "second or occasional homes" or vacant homes.

Sebastian's window in Copenhagen, Denmark, overlooks a nearby apartment building beyond his balcony with its potted flowers and watering can.  As you  can see, I'm once again traveling the world by clicking on WindowSwap.

Weather

Uh-oh, while I was taking a look at France and Denmark at 10:15 am, it suddenly got very dark outside and thunder is rumbling around us.  It's 76° and raining.  The buildings of Clayton have once again disappeared, so I'm going to post this and turn off my computer.

3 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Well, I found "derecho" in a headline just now, so maybe I'm the last person to learn this word. Here's the USA Today headline, and the link:
Monday's derecho damaged 10M acres of crops in Iowa; 600K still without power in Midwest
https://news.yahoo.com/mondays-derecho-damaged-10m-acres-170433186.html

Quote from the article:

"In all, the derecho covered a nearly 800-mile stretch of the U.S. over the course of 14 hours, AccuWeather said. By definition, a derecho is a long-lived complex of intense thunderstorms that travels at least 250 miles.

"Additionally, wind gusts along its path must exceed 58 mph with at least several reports of gusts over 75 mph, according to the National Weather Service's Storm Prediction Center."

Bonnie Jacobs said...

The word is even being used on Facebook; I just read this comment about the Iowa corn crop:
"And now a derecho that has wiped out all the crops on top of the pandemic and economic crisis."

colleen said...

We had a derecho here in VA before. I love the Window Swap site. I recognized Paris!