Thursday, December 3, 2020

Vintage phones

Who can remember their childhood home phone number, but struggle to remember the password they created yesterday?  A Facebook friend posted that, and I shared it with my friends.  That made me remember the first phone number I memorized, which was 2-9060, back in the olden days before prefixes, back in the early 1940s.

And that brought back memories of old telephone dials, showing letters as well as numbers.  All the early phones were black.  The earliest light-colored phone I remember having was hanging on the wall in the kitchen of the first house we bought after I was married.  My FB friend Tricia commented, "Yes.  It was the 80s before we had a push button phone.  And we had a party line when I was growing up!"  Ah, yes, we also had a party line phone when I was a child.

Word of the Day
A party line was a local telephone loop circuit that was shared by more than one subscriber.  There was no privacy on a party line; if you were conversing with a friend, anyone on your party line could pick up their telephone and listen in.

No comments: