Thursday, July 16, 2020

What I'm thinking about today

Thinking about Clawdia

Would you call it "sun bathing" if she's sitting in the sunny open window bathing herself?  That shiny streak downward from her shoulder is where she turned to lick herself clean.  Now she's licking her paw and swiping it across her face to clean herself.  Cats groom themselves meticulously.

Word of the Day #1
swipe / swahyp / verb, when used without an object = to make a sweeping stroke.  Example:  "Clawdia swipes her paw across her face to clean herself, the way we swipe our cards through the slot in the machine when we buy things."
Thinking about voting

When you want more information about a proposition on the upcoming ballot, it helps to be able to think it through with friends.  One friend sent me information she had received from a reliable source, and I then forwarded her email to three other friends, inviting feedback.  All of these friends think it's very important to be informed and to vote.

Thinking about exercising

Five Simple Moves for Strong, Toned Arms

Exercise #1: Arm Circles
Exercise #2: Wall Pushup
Exercise #3: Bent-Over Row
Exercise #4: Biceps Curl
Exercise #5: Shoulder Raise

This is one of the links from the SilverSneakers Newsletter that came today in my email.

Thinking about racism

I'm on Day 4 about "white silence" as I work my way through Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad.
This video was sent to me by a friend today, serendipitously, since he doesn't know that I am contemplating white privilege this week.  I try not to be silent, but to share what I learn, like in this video, which can help us visualize — actually SEE — the advantages of having privilege, so I'm sharing it with you.  Take a look at Racing for a Hundred-Dollar Bill and notice who is out in front.  Also, notice the looks on the faces of those who are participating in this race.

Word of the Day #2
serendipitous / ser-uh n-dip-i-tuhs / adjective = come upon or found by accident; fortuitous.  Example:  "It was serendipitous that my friend sent me this video as I'm pondering white privilege."
I was surprised to learn how NEW this word is.  It was "first recorded in 1940–45 as serendipit(y) + -ous," using the earlier word serendipity to make the adjective:
"The word 'serendipity' was coined in 1754 by Horace Walpole.  He drew it from an English variation of the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip, which was about three princes who always made discoveries that they were not looking for on their adventures."

2 comments:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Awww sweet Clawdia sunbathing! And yes, my Marilyn seems to alternate between sleeping and bathing. Right now she's in her chair on the patio, curled in a ball with her head upside down.

I found that very interesting about the origin of serendipity! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Helen's Book Blog said...

I participated in a similar exercise as the video when I attended the Institute of Equity in Education institute. It's powerful and painful.