Friday, July 17, 2020

Beginning ~ with an Author's Note

I was born in Mississippi.
When I was three weeks old, my father was involved in a racial incident and he made the abrupt decision to leave Mississippi.  He left that same day.  When I was three months old, he sent for my mother, my sister, and me, and we all went north.
The Author's Note is two pages at the beginning.  Here's page one of the novel itself, which is not nearly as intriguing.
Man and I were waiting for the bus.  I had been visiting with Great-Aunt Callie down near McComb, and my brother Clayton Chester, whom we all called Little Man, had come from where he was based at Fort Hood in Texas and met me there.
All the Days Past, All the Days to Come is Mildred D. Taylor's latest novel about the Logan family, published in 2020.  The narrator is Cassie Logan.  It's the 1940s, she is in college, and her brother is about to go off to war in Europe.  Cassie becomes a lawyer active in the Civil Rights Movement.  I've written about this book before (Library Loot and TWOsday) and look forward to it, even though it's a 485-page chunkster.

============================
Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click this link for book beginnings
shared by other readers.
============================

3 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I like the sound of this. I'm going to have to give it a try.

Lauren @ Always Me

Helen's Book Blog said...

This sounds timely and good. I hope you ended up liking it.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

It's 485 pages long, so I'm still reading it. Yes, I'm enjoying it, if that's the right word. As historical fiction, it is doing an excellent job of showing me what it was like to be a black person in the 1940s and 1950s and 1960s. I remember the Whites Only signs and separate water fountains in department stores, but now I'm seeing it from a different perspective.