Monday, October 17, 2011

Reading and writing

The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations to Cultivate a Productive and Meaningful Writing Life ~ by Fred White, 2008, writing
"From getting in a creative frame of mind to maintaining good writing habits to breaking through writer's block, this helpful guide is every writer's key to developing the discipline, focus and dedication needed to become successful."
My friend Donna actually bought this book, but she suggested we could do the writing prompts together and read what the other said.  That sounds interesting to me, so I took a look at the book this evening.  The 366 in the title refers to days of the year, with February 29 included.  I found this book-related meditation on the page for January 5:
Reverence for Books and Reading

One cannot become a good writer without being a good reader.  After all, since writers create reading, they learn to appreciate the range of quality and content that makes reading so rewarding.  In order to develop such appreciation, writers must read widely and deeply.
It goes on, but that gives you an idea.  "For Further Reflection" includes this:
Describe your favorite kinds of books and what it is about the genre that you enjoy.
That's your assignment.  Tell me in the comments what you enjoy about your favorite kinds of books.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Bonnie, I love this and copied it for my blog today. Thank you. (And I hope you don't mind--I gave you credit.)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Jan, I like that you shared it, whether you had given me credit or not.