Wednesday, June 21, 2023

I'm game ~ are you?

Have you ever played Bananagrams?  My friend Sharon texted me a photo, saying, "This is what happens when I have no internet and I'm bored."  I texted back:  "Words and more words."  It looked familiar and rather like Scrabble, so I texted back to her:  "Bananagrams?"  Her:  "Do you want to play?"  Me:  "I don't know the rules."  She assured me, "It's easy."  With nary a pause, I replied, "Shall we try?"  So ....... we ended up downstairs in our new community room with her Bananagrams bag, and she started teaching me.  I won't go through all the details, but Sharon began by saying there are four words to know:
  1. SPLIT ~ begin by turning over all tiles
  2. PEEL ~ pick one tile
  3. DUMP ~ return one tile, and take three
  4. BANANAS ~ end of game
Uh, I guess you'll have to take a look at the actual game to learn all about those words, but the winner of the game becomes the TOP BANANA.

Word of the Day
nar·y / adjective (informal, dialect) = nonstandard form of not.  Example:  "With nary a pause, I got up and went to play Bananagrams!"

As we neared the end of our first game, Alyssa came along while walking her dog, and we invited her to join us.  She didn't know how to play, either, but took her dog home and came back to join us.  Sharon was just as patient as she taught her the game, too.  After several games, we called it a night, with Sharon wondering how long we'd been playing.  I said, "I can tell you."  I grabbed my phone, checked the time we had texted earlier, and that's when we realized our total playing time had been nearly three hours!  WOW!!

This was what my friend Donna came up with back in 2020.  I blogged about it HERE.  You can click to enlarge the photo.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Bananagrams is a great game! We really enjoy playing it.