Sunday, June 4, 2023

I've read the first story

Girl Country
 ~ by Jacqueline Vogtman, 2023, short stories, 200 pages
The stories range from medieval Belgium to the near-future of the American Midwest, populated by mothers and monsters, mermaids and milkmaids, nuns and bus drivers — women in every walk of life, but particularly working-class women, navigating the intersection of the mundane and the magical.
This has been a busy weekend (see the next paragraph), but I have read one of the eleven stories in this book.  I'll probably read another story before bedtime tonight.

Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb Nance at Readerbuzz.

I moved on Friday, so I'm still sitting here among boxes of stuff to be unpacked and put away, somewhere.  Do I still need this?  Do I still need that?  Or should I toss it?  I am ready to toss the whole mess, frankly!  For a
few days after our move, we can still go back to our old apartments.  I went earlier this afternoon to get the little white strainer out of my kitchen sink.  Sure, I could buy another, but why pay seven or eight bucks for something I already own?  Now I won't have to worry that my knife or spoon or fork will slip out of my hand and down the drain in my new kitchen sink.  Walking over there and back took about 1500 steps, so I am also exercising.

2 comments:

Harvee said...

Mothers,monsters, mermaids, and milkmaids. Has all the elements of an exciting read.

https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I understand your thinking completely---is it worth keeping or shall I become a little lighter?

I hope you get time to enjoy your book amid all the moving mayhem.