Sunday, June 25, 2023

Reading makes me think

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz
hosts The Sunday Salon.
Exercising
"You are only as old as you feel, my dear." . . . "Then I must be a hundred years old."
I am pretty sure that I'm older than either of these characters from page 187 of Lilly Mirren's novel Home Sweet Home, but most days I don't really feel that I'm actually 83 years old.

When I sat down and picked up my Kindle to continue reading a few pages before that, I had just walked to the store and back in heat around 90° Fahrenheit.  I was feeling my age, but NOT feeling "a hundred years old."

In this heat, I would rather exercise inside than take long walks, so I found this chart I posted five years ago, HERE.  I think I will work on these flexibility and balance exercises, rather that taking my usual walks around the neighborhood.  I hope clicking on the chart will enlarge it for you.  HERE's another good chart.

Two more books I've found in moving

I know these two books (found together) were my friend Donna's books because she got Justice signed by the author.  She and I both studied that book, so I have a copy somewhere.

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? ~ by Michael J. Sandel, 2009, ethics, 320 pages
What are our obligations to others as people in a free society?  Should government tax the rich to help the poor?  Is the free market fair?  Is it sometimes wrong to tell the truth?  Is killing sometimes morally required?  Is it possible, or desirable, to legislate morality?  Do individual rights and the common good conflict?  His "Justice" course is one of the most popular at Harvard.  See what I posted about it HERE.

Treasury of Joy and Enthusiasm ~ edited by Norman Vincent Peale, 1981, stories, 191 pages
The author says "joy" and "enthusiasm" can be cultivated to make your life better.  He shares insights and wisdom from such people as Helen Keller, Dale Evans Rogers, Thomas A. Edison, Art Linkletter, Charles Lindbergh, C. S. Lewis, Vince Lombardi, and Margaret Sanger.  I may read this book next, since I presented a paper on "Joy or Despair?" at the Southeastern Undergraduate Philosophy Conference at Emory University in the early 1970s, to counter the negativity of the existentialists.  If we choose what to do, as they claim, then why would anyone choose despair?

9 comments:

Harvee said...

Yes, the heat and the smoky air from the Canadian wildfires have put a damper on our daily walking, and I'm desperately out of shape! Had a good walk yesterday and hope to have another walk this morning. Have a good week.

Harvee at https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I don't want to walk in this heat. Luckily, I am able to swim, but that is only four days a week. Some of us are pushing our city to open the pool one more day a week for us.

Bonnie, you are the one who led me to watch the series that goes with the book Justice in 2019, and I thank you for that. Here's my review of Justice which credits you: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3071709136

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I don't want to walk in this heat. Luckily, I am able to swim, but that is only four days a week. Some of us are pushing our city to open the pool one more day a week for us.

crackercrumblife said...

Phew that is hot walk. I am not a fan of heat, and like you, prefer to do my exercising indoors when it is hot out! Those stretches look perfect for that!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Wow, Deb, thanks for posting that link. It's great to know that something I shared made a difference to someone else.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I bought Justice on recommendations from you and Deb. I see from her comment that there is a series, I'll have to look that up. The book is still on my TBR shelf and I hope to read it this year.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

I think I’m more capable of the senior exercises than those above, and I’m a decade or two younger than you, oh dear!

Wishing you a great reading week, stay cool!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Maybe we need to start a discussion group, folks. Here's a link to all the times I have posted something about Sandel: https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Sandel

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Thanks! I can use these lower back stretches because I sit so hunched over at my desk all day at work it takes me a minute to walk straight when I get up. Last night I went to lay down flat on my back on the hardwood floor to straighten myself out and almost got stuck just inches before I was all the way down! When I finally got down it took a good minute before some tendon or muscle or whatever snapped and relaxed. Whew! Yah, that's not good. I need to sit up straight and do these stretches.