Sunday, January 15, 2023

What I've read and what I'm ready to read

When I got to the chapter on Alzheimer's (p. 175) in Lisa Genova's book Remember: The Science of Memory and the Art of Forgetting (2021, neuroscience, 264 pages), I closed my Kindle to take a break and think of my mother.  That period is not easy for me to "remember."  My mother lived with me for 25 years, but eventually I had to put her in assisted living because I was still working and couldn't leave her in our house alone.  I ate a snack, gave Clawdia some loving, then finished reading this book that I rated 9/10.

The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times ~ by Michelle Obama, 2022, self-help, 336 pages

The library is holding Michelle Obama's book for me, in which she opens a frank and honest dialogue considering the questions many of us wrestle with:
  • How do we build enduring and honest relationships?
  • How can we discover strength and community inside our differences?
  • What tools do we use to address feelings of self-doubt or helplessness?
  • What do we do when it all starts to feel like too much?
She offers readers a series of fresh stories and insightful reflections on change, challenge, and power, including her belief that when we light up for others, we can illuminate the richness and potential of the world around us, discovering deeper truths and new pathways for progress.  She shares the habits and principles she has developed to successfully adapt to change and overcome various obstacles — the earned wisdom that helps her continue to "become."  She details her most valuable practices, like "starting kind," "going high," and assembling a "kitchen table" of trusted friends and mentors.  She also explores issues connected to race, gender, and visibility, encouraging readers to work through fear, find strength in community, and live with boldness.

The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz, and Library Loot is
co-hosted by Claire at The Captive Reader and Sharlene at Real Life Reading.

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I imagine Remember will be a difficult read for me in parts too, but thank to you, I definitely want to read it. The Girl Scouts have a program built around Michelle Obama's book The Light We Carry. It's a worthwhile program. I hope you enjoy the book when you read it. Have a great week, Bonnie.

Mark Baker said...

Sometimes, you have to put down a book. Glad you were able to finish this one and still thought it was good overall.

Harvee said...

I'd like to find a copy of Remember. Memory topics have been on my mind, smile.
https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm sorry that Remember was a trigger for you, but I'm glad you were able to reflect back on your difficult experiences and move forward.

I feel like we need leaders like Michelle Obama to help us all in these difficult times. We need a focus on the things we have in common and on ways that we can work together to solve the problems in our world.

Helen's Book Blog said...

That first book sounds good, but intense for you. It got you to remember your mother, which a lovely thing even though some of the memories are difficult.

Cindy said...

I hope you enjoy these. Have a great week!

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I can see how that book was difficult to get through and I'm glad you were able to, after a break. Six years caring for my mom was hard. I can't imagine 25 years. You must've loved her very much.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Jinjer. My mother had Alzheimer's for the last years of her life, but she was still working when she first moved in with me. She lived for another five or six years after I had to find someone else to take care of her. I think of her nearly every day, Helen; it was in relation to her Alzheimer's that made it hard.

Lyn said...

Good selection. Happy reading. Here's my latest.
http://www.lyndonperrywriter.com/2023/01/review-of-feast-of-fools-anthology.html