Friday, January 27, 2023

Beginning ~ with a cane for balance

Beginning = "At some point when I was a child, my father started using a cane to keep himself balanced when he walked." ~ from The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times by Michelle Obama, 2022, self-help, 336 pages.  Click the title for what I wrote about the book in my Sunday post a couple of weeks ago.  I've been reading it so it can go back to the library quickly for others on the waiting list.  I thought of the cane I used in 2012 and the one I use now.

I've started taking a cane with me when I leave the apartment, just to help me stay steady and not fall.  This old photo shows my great-grandson Jaxon (age 2 at that time) with his parents.  Jaxon was showing us that he knew how a cane is to be used, though I'd say it was a bit large for him, wouldn't you?  A friend of mine borrowed that wooden cane and hasn't given it back, though I have never seen her use it.  So I've been using Donna's old cane instead.

All that musing, and I have still read only the first few lines of this book!  I'm chastising myself:  Go read, girl, and quite getting sidetracked.

Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.

3 comments:

Harvee said...

Sounds like a very worthwhile book to read. I have used a cane but my balancing exercises from PT have helped a lot.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I can understand your desire for something to keep you steady when you walk. So many times I've averted falling by grabbing hold of something nearby just in time.

I am eager to hear what you think about this new book.

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I use a walking tick when I am worried about the potential of a fall. It seems to open some doors that may not have been pen before. I bet a cane does the same thing.