Thursday, January 12, 2023

Drizzle ~ and other Thursday thoughts

1.  The weather app said it was drizzling at my location.  When I opened my blinds, I saw the little white "raindrops" floating upwards outside my window.  Back in olden days, we called them snowflakes and "drizzling" meant raindrops.  The photo is from last year, and we may yet see at least that much "drizzle" again this winter.  LOL.

2.  I think this joke is funny, even if I'm not as crazy about chocolate as some folks.

3.  Thursday comes from the name Thor, so this seems to be a fitting "thought" for today's Thursday Thoughts.  Did you see what happened on New Year’s Eve in Scarborough, a town in North Yorkshire, England?  A lost walrus (nicknamed Thor) was found resting in the harbor, so the town council decided to cancel their fireworks program for the welfare of that walrus.  A spokesperson from the Council said:

"We have taken the decision to cancel tonight’s New Year’s Eve fireworks display on the advice of British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR), because of the arrival of the walrus 'Thor' in the harbour.  There are concerns that the display could cause distress to the mammal."  Councillor Steve Siddons, leader of the council, said:  "We are really disappointed that we've had to cancel the fireworks, but the welfare of the walrus has to take precedence."

Scarborough, a city of about 108,000 citizens had been planning the fireworks event for about six months.  They'd already purchased the fireworks out of the annual budget, and then canceled the whole thing to protect that walrus.  I am so impressed.  (* Thanks to Jan for sharing this remarkable news and the link to the information about it.)
4.  Micah 6:8 is the source of that middle part:  "He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"  It's my favorite Bible verse.

5.  I have coins in an old film container like this and in old pill bottles so ancient any child could open them easily.  I have no idea whether or not a collector would find any of my coins of value, but it's not likely.  My coins are old because I collected them decades ago.

6.  Did you know Harvard offers free courses?  Here's one on Ethics that I wrote about several years ago:  JUSTICE by Michael Sandel.

7.  Speaking of "collecting" (#5), I'm still collecting my thoughts.  What's been on your mind this week?

No comments: