Monday, January 23, 2023

Monday Musing

The Theory of Communicative Action, Volume 1: Reason and the Rationalization of Society ~ by Jürgen Habermas, 1985, social philosophy, 465 pages

The Theory of Communicative Action, Volume 2: Lifeworld and System: A Critique of Functionalist Reason ~ by Jürgen Habermas, 1985, social philosophy, 457 pages

This two-volume book by Habermas continues his project of finding a way to ground "the social sciences in a theory of language," which had been set out in On the Logic of the Social Sciences (see that book below).

The Times Literary Supplement says this "is a major contribution to contemporary social theory.  Not only does it provide a compelling critique of some of the main perspectives in 20th century philosophy and social science, but it also presents a systematic synthesis of the many themes which have preoccupied Habermas for thirty years."

His theory of communicative action rests on the idea that social order ultimately depends on the capacity of actors to recognize the intersubjective validity of the different claims on which social cooperation depends.

On the Logic of the Social Sciences
~ by Jürgen Habermas, 1970, translated by Shierry Weber Nicholsen and Jerry A. Stark, 1988, social philosophy, 220 pages

Habermas presents his views on the nature of the social sciences and their distinctive methodology and concerns.  He examines the traditional division between the natural sciences and the social sciences; the characteristics of social action and the implications of theories of language for social enquiry; and the nature, tasks, and limitations of hermeneutics.  Habermas highlights the distinctive characteristics of the social sciences and outlines the nature of critical theory today.

Word of the Day

her·me·neu·tics/ˌhərməˈno͞odiks / noun = theory of interpretation; the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of literary texts.

My thoughts —
I studied hermeneutics in the mid-1980s, and I taught communication skills at a college.  So I was hooked when I read this in Being Authentic, Morhaf Al Achkar's memoir:
"Habermas is probably one of the most sophisticated philosophers of our time. ... He's been my favorite philosopher.  As I write these words, I have three books on my desk:  Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit, and Habermas's Theory of Communicative Action" (p. 104).
I decided I want to read more of Habermas's social philosophy.  The third book is the shortest, so I ordered that one.  I studied Kant and Hegel in college and took classes in phenomenology and logic.  When the book arrives, I'm ready to study Habermas and whatever I can learn about him from Wikipedia.

1 comment:

Harvee said...

My husband would like these books.
Literary interpretation is a hobby of mine.