Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao ~ by Junot Díaz, 2007

I struggled to get through The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz, 2007. Not only did it annoy me incessantly, but I frequently only halfway knew what was going on. Sometimes less. I don't speak Spanish, and since the author swears all through the book, I'm afraid to quote because I have no idea what he may be saying. The author apparently doesn't want English-speaking readers, unless they are bilingual. I took German, Latin, Greek, and a little Hebrew, but no Spanish, so here's a sample of how little I understood:
"Listen, [something]: you have to grab a [something], [something something]. That will take care of everything. Start with a [something]. [Something] that [something something something]" (p. 24).
Try writing a review based on that. This may be my shortest review ever: I didn't like any of the characters, I wasn't captivated by the plot, and I am totally annoyed that I wasted my time. I read it only because I promised to discuss it with a friend. The only "wondrous" thing about it is my "wondering" why I didn't stop halfway ... or sooner. Rated: "nah," don't bother.

3 comments:

Kailana said...

I have this book on my TBR pile. Be interested to see what you are talking about first hand!

Beth said...

Oh, wow, I know how you feel. I HATE it when I waste my time reading a book I end up loathing. I'd seen this book at the library and had thought about getting it, but I won't bother now! Thanks for saving me the trouble, Bonnie.

Katt said...

Bonnie, sorry to have drawn you into a book that annoyed you so much. Also, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you on your thoughts on the book. Yes, the new job has me going in new directions!

Still, it was fun for me to read a book with you again, even if the book was so annoying.