Sunday, January 7, 2018

Books, broken water pipes, and health

BOOK I'M READING
Five Fortunes ~ by Beth Gutcheon, 1998, fiction

A lively octogenarian, a private investigator, a mother and daughter with an unresolved past, and a recently widowed politician's wife share little else except a thirst for new dreams, but after a week at the luxurious health spa known as "Fat Chance" their lives will be intertwined in ways they couldn't have imagined.  Unexpected friendships emerge, reminding us of the close links between the rich and the poor, fortune and misfortune, and the magic of chance.
BROKEN WATER PIPES
During the cold snap, a major pipe burst in our building, and we were without water for a day.  I keep water in my fridge, but other people were ready to use bottled water to brush their teeth.  I had plenty to drink and enough to wash my hands, and all of us could go over to the other building (connected on the ground floor), if necessary, where we have the Circle@Crown Café and other amenities.  I got out of the way for Tim, Ron, and the other maintenance men dashing from place to place.  Scott's shirt was wet, and he just shook his head and smiled at me as he hurried off after Tim.

When the problem was fixed, it still took time for the water pipes to fill on all ten floors.  The next morning, I had water from only the HOT faucet in the bathroom, both tub and sink — but the water was not warm, much less hot.  In the kitchen, water was coming from both sides, equally lukewarm. When the water situation was back to normal after a couple of days, I ran into Donna on the elevator and she said, "There's nothing better than a nice warm shower!"
BOOK I'M STUDYING
Womanist Midrash: A Reintroduction to the Women of the Torah and the Throne ~ by Wilda C. Gafney, 2017, theology

Alyssa, Betty, Donna, Evelyn, Sheila, Risé, and I are going through this book in small bites.  Wilda Gafney has shown me things in the Hebrew scriptures that I've never noticed before.  We're ready to look at Deuteronomy next Saturday, which will complete Part I about "Women of the Torah."  Then we'll start on Part II about "Women of the Throne."

Click here to see what I wrote earlier about this book.
HEALTH
My blood pressure is high, and my doctor upped the dose of blood pressure medicine I'm taking.  I think I'll go out later and buy a BP monitor so I can check it at home.
Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading.

5 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

A burst water pipe is no fun. I am glad things are back to normal. I see the doctor Monday and am afraid my blood pressure will be elevated as well. I have got to exercise!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What a trying day! I'm glad your water was restored, but that does leave you frazzled.

https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2018/01/2018-wildly-imperfect.html

Bryan G. Robinson said...

We had a frozen water line over the last few days so understand a bit how you feel. We at least were able to get water hooked in from a neighbor. I can't imagine a whole building out, but glad it's all fixed now...now on to working on the blood pressure. :)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Bryan. I did buy a BP monitor. By being intentional about food (think leaving out salty foods) and by getting more rest and relaxing more, my blood pressure has come WAY down already.

Tea said...

I really like Beth Gutcheon's books. I remember reading one or more in the past, in the long ago. I also remember their, husband and wife, quilting business in New York.