Friday, January 12, 2018

Beginning ~ with a decision

Do One Thing Different: And Other Uncommonly Sensible Solutions to Life's Persistent Problems ~ by Bill O'Hanlon, 1999, psychology
I came to the solution-oriented approach by a very personal route.  In 1971, I decided to kill myself.  Now, this may seem like a strange introduction for a book designed to inspire you, but that's where it all began for me.
These are not the first lines of the book, since they are near the bottom of the third page.  But this feels like where the book begins.  The author even calls these words "a strange introduction for a book."  At the beginning of the first chapter (on page one) is this epigraph.
Chapter 1
ANALYSIS PARALYSIS
From Liabilities to Possibilities

Socrates said the unexamined life is not worth living.  But
the (over)examined life makes you wish you were dead.
Given the alternative, I'd rather be living. — Saul Bellow
"Makes you wish you were dead" connects with what I think of as the beginning, where O'Hanlon says, "I decided to kill myself."  Yes, definitely a connection there.  And I definitely want to keep reading to find out how to "move quickly from stuck to smooth sailing in all aspects of [my] life."


Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts Book Beginnings on Fridays. Click here for today's Mister Linky.

6 comments:

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Happy Friday and happy reading!

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Hi Bonnie!

Oh, startling! But at the same time, very intriguing. I want to know why she thinks that...

Here is mine: https://wp.me/pEZs7-x5d

Happy Friday Fun! Enjoy yourself. ;)

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds interesting. This week I have A Merciful Secret by Kendra Elliot - one from my review stack. Happy reading!

Maria said...

It is an unlikely beginning but interesting none the less. And I have to agree with Saul Bellow...introspection is good but too much is not good. Here's my Friday meme

Helen's Book Blog said...

That's an intense beginning to a book, but it would definitely a way to grab the reader and keep them interested!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Summary of Solution Keys (from p. 198)

1. Break problem patterns.
2. Find and use solution patterns.
3. Acknowledge your feelings and the past without letting them determine your actions in the present and the future.
4. Shift your attention.
5. Imagine a future that leads back to solutions in the present.
6. Change problem stories into solution stories.
7. Use spirituality to transcend or resolve problems.
8. Use action talk to solve relationship problems.
9. Perform a resolution ritual to resolve unfinished issues from the past.
10. Develop stability and connective rituals to prevent problems and create connections.