Thursday, August 1, 2024

Café Conversations ~ ideas for discussion topics


I sat at a long table in our Café with a sign that said, "Café Conversations."  I had several pads of paper on the table, inviting ideas, though nobody used those.  What I did get, though, was people stopping to ask what this was all about.
  • Sue couldn't stay to talk very long.
  • Rosy did, though.
  • Walter's friend was curious and came over to ask.
  • Harry was on his way somewhere, but
  • Melvin stayed and talked.
  • Iva also sat down with us.
That was last week.  As I've talked to people and thought about it myself, I've come up with a few topics to consider for discussion:
  1. Whean you walk, is it important to know how many steps are in a mile?  I've had time to look it up:  Based on an average step length of 2.5 feet, there are approximately 2,000 steps in one mile.  But does it matter?
  2. Coincidences you have noticed in your life.
  3. A humorous event you remember.
  4. Health (yes, I know this is vague and could get into more than anyone wants to know).
  5. Your favorite food (someone told me about watermelon and feta cheese as a salad, and I think that sounds good.
  6. A chapter of a book of sayings, like maybe the Tao te Ching.  I like chapter 11.  Our Crown Center library has the James Legge translation.
Here's the translation of Chapter 11 from this version:

The thirty spokes unite in one wheel, but it is on the empty space for the axle that the use of the wheel depends.

Clay is fashioned into vessels, but it is on their hollow emptiness that their use depends.

The door and windows are cut from the walls to form a room, but it is on the empty space within that its use depends.

Therefore, what has positive existence serves for profitable adaptation, and what has not, for actual usefulness.

You can help by sharing any ideas you may have.  Can you think of something a group might enjoy talking about?

Hmmm, is Meet & Eat a better name than Café Conversations?  I couldn't find a logo online for Café Conversations.  Unless we use this one with comment bubbles over the heads of speakers.  What do you think?  Which name is better?

No comments: