Thursday, August 22, 2024

Another coincidence

Tisha B'Av, or "the ninth of Av" in Hebrew, is an annual fast day in Judaism.  It is a day of mourning that commemorates a series of tragedies in Jewish history and is considered the saddest day of the Jewish calendar.  It's a time for Jews to commemorate the destruction of the First and Second Temples in Jerusalem by the Second Babylonian Empire and the Roman Empire nearly 2,000 years ago.

The date this year was Tuesday, August 13th.  The Crown Center had a notice on the monitors telling us the Café would be closed that day.  The coincidence is that I was reading Jewish Reflections on Death (HERE) just after I had seen the announcement and got to page 29, which says:  "On the Sabbath following Tisha-b'Ab, many Hasidim came to him..."

It was the first time I had ever heard of that particular Jewish holiday, and then I read about it in my book?  That's a weird coincidence!  The photo shows the Western Wall in Jerusalem, also known as the Wailing Wall.  Now I know why.

No comments: