Thursday, August 15, 2024

Okay, I ponder odd things, don't I?

I'm fascinated by this idea of atmospheric perspective on page 19 of my new book:  Big Ideas, Little Pictures: Explaining the World One Sketch at a Time by Jono Hey (2024).  The opposite page adds:  "On a blue sky day, the objects take on a bluer tone, ultimately blending into the color of the sky in the distance" (p. 8).

I smiled at the cat and dog "story" (pp. 98-99).  The left page shows a drawing of a sleeping cat and says, "The cat sat on a mat" is not a story.  The right page shows an unhappy-looking dog coming through a door; it says, "The cat sat on the DOG'S mat" is a story.  The words are attributed to John Le Carré.  The photo I found makes it an even bigger story, with the huge difference in their sizes.  I could build a story from this photo; that dog does NOT look happy.
This is not the illustration in the book (I couldn't find it online), but this idea is explored on pages 158-159.  The moon seems bigger when on the horizon and seems smaller when up in the sky.  One explanation is that on the horizon, we are comparing the moon with things like buildings.  But when it's higher in the sky, we can only compare it to the vastness of space.

No comments: