Monday, August 5, 2024

Musing ~ about three new books

The Mindfulness Coloring Book: Anti-Stress Art Therapy for Busy People ~ by Emma Farrarons, 2015, stress management, 112 pages

On Saturday, Risé and I went to Left Bank Books, and I came home with three books.  Well, two books and a coloring book, but that's a "book," right?  I put it first for that reason.  Mindful coloring is a simple practice that combines meditation with the growing popularity of adult coloring books, and shows that any activity, done right, can be an exercise in mindfulness.  Illustrator Emma Farrarons presents 70 intricate patterns to color your way to tranquility:  flowers, leaves, butterflies, birds, rolling waves, and kaleidoscopic designs.

This Book Is Literally Just Pictures of Cute Animals That Will Make You Feel Better
~ edited by Smith Street Books, 2019, children and young adults, 96 pages

This book features eighty pictures of excessively cute animals, and that's it.  The only words are on the title page and the copyright page.  There are cats flaunting fabulous wigs, sloths dangling casually, and otters holding hands (something that actually occurs in nature).
Big Ideas, Little Pictures: Explaining the World One Sketch at a Time ~ by Jono Hey, 2024, trivia, 288 pages

Have you ever wondered what makes autumn leaves change color, why more choice makes you less happy, or how to win at Monopoly?  Or maybe you'd like to learn how to find your way using the stars or why we need to worry less about what others think of us than you might expect.  Hey, look!  The boater on the cover is musing about the shape of that wave.  I wonder if it was a Monday.  Okay, so you know I'm weird and muse about odd things.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I really enjoy coloring. I find it is soothing, focuses me on the task at hand rather than the rest of my life, and the colors make me happy.