Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Word of the day = teleportation

I love reading science fiction, especially about things like teleportation.  In case you don't know that word, here's the definition:

Word of the Day #1
tele·​por·​ta·​tion /te-lə-ˌpȯr-ˈtā-shən/ noun = the act or process of moving an object or person by psychokinesis.  Example:  Teleportation in fiction is the instantaneous travel between two locations without crossing the intervening space."
Word of the Day #2
psy·cho·ki·ne·sis /ˌsīkōkəˈnēsəs,ˌsīkōˌkīˈnēsəs / noun = the supposed ability to move objects by mental effort alone.
Is teleportation possible?  I found an answer for us, HERE:
While human teleportation currently exists only in science fiction, teleportation is possible now in the subatomic world of quantum mechanics — albeit not in the way typically depicted on TV.  In the quantum world, teleportation involves the transportation of information, rather than the transportation of matter.
Hey, we all recognize this, don't we?  I can talk in "real time" with someone in the Netherlands, simply by using my cellphone to call her from here in St. Louis.

Though I choose not to have a television set now, Star Trek (see above) is one show I really did enjoy watching.  I think of "Beam me up, Scotty."  (Yet nowhere in Star Trek does Captain Kirk say the exact phrase "Beam me up, Scotty," this SOURCE says.)

No comments: