Friday, February 24, 2023

Beginning ~ with a dog named Pal

Beginning ~ Unit 1 ~ Geography
My father-in-law tells me his Pal story.  He was a young boy out on a field trip with his class.  He suddenly saw his dog Pal and their dog walker across the way.  Hey, that's my dog, everyone!  That's my dog Pal! he shouted to his teacher and classmates.  He wanted, of course, to run over, but his teacher insisted he remain in line.
Textbook: Not Exactly a Memoir ~ by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, 2016, memoir (sort of), 336 pages

Rosenthal ingeniously adapts a standard format — a textbook, this time — to explore life’s lessons and experiences.  Not exactly a memoir and not just a collection of her observations, it's an exploration of the many ways we are connected on this planet as it speaks to the bewilderment and poignancy of being alive.

Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.

6 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I just placed this book on my TBR last week! Like minds!!! I loved her Encyclopedia book.

Mark Baker said...

That's an interesting beginning. I'm curious where exactly the book is going with an opening like that, especially given your thoughts on the book.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Mark, that is NOT my commentary, but a description of the book I put together with information I found online. I just got it from the library and am looking forward to reading the book, myself. I'm still reading her earlier book (that I got from the library at the same time), the one I quoted from in last Sunday's blog post:

https://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2023/02/chunksters-numbers-and-re-birthday.html

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Mark, I edited the post to try to make it sound less like a review, though notice that there is no rating, which I include when I review a book.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

This is a book I love. I'm a huge Amy Krouse Rosenthal fan.

Terrie said...

I see others are fans but I'm not familiar with the author. More research required. :)
Hope you continue to enjoy the book.
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-39